Monday, June 12, 2006

Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing

It's been a while since I've done a Sunday(ish) hymn, partially because I've been really tired & these actually take some time & thought, as opposed to the rest of the fluff I usually post. And also I'm forgetful.

We sang this one yesterday in church and I have to confess that I'd forgotten about it.

The last verse is my favourite. I have a tendency, as do many Christians, to push God to the side. To put Him in a corner and say "You can hang out over here while I go off and do my thing". There are times I don't speak up for Him, afraid of what others will say. And there are times that I just don't want to deal with the whole Christianity thing. It would be whole lot simpler to just throw it out the window and live as those of the world do.

But I can't and I won't do that. Because He has done so much for me - He saved me from the eternal consequences of my sin and He has carried me over every rough patch in the road. What kind of person would I be if I turned my back on Him, just so I can live as I want, as the world dictates and then at the eleventh hour, say "Alright, I'm back, time to go to heaven". (That made me think of a T-shirt I used to have - "Many who plan to seek God at the 11th hour die at 10:30.")

I'm not saying that I'm a good person, that I do everything I should. I'll be the first to say that I am so totally screwed up. But, I have a God who is there for me when I say "Lord, I blew it again. I'm sorry. Help me." And He picks me up, dusts me off and puts me back on the right track.

"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2 Corinthians 1:21-22



Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing

1. Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of Thy redeeming love.

2. Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by Thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
interposed His precious blood.

3. O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for Thy courts above.


Note: 'Raise mine Ebenezer' comes from 1 Samuel 7, after the Lord helped the Israelites defeat the Philistines. Verse 12 -
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lyrics from HymnSite.com

Verses from BibleGateway

Fourth - The Old Rugged Cross

Third - Fairest Lord Jesus

Second - Be Thou My Vision

First - A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

No comments: