Thursday, July 20, 2006

Vacation Pics - Fort Leavenworth

While the Mothership & I were tooling around Leavenworth, we decided to hop across the river & see where that road went. We didn't get very far as we saw this pretty tower off in the distance & decided we wanted to know what it was. So, we stopped at a fireworks stand & asked. Turns out it was part of the old prison at Ft. Leavenworth. Fella told us we could go on base & wander around a mite so that's what we did. And here's the pretty tower...

We liked this pretty little gabezo (no, that's not a misspelling, long story) so, yeah, here it is. Enjoy.

The architecture was so pretty, especially this house (Yeah, yeah, I know - military base - not supposed to be pretty, but hey, I just call it like I see it.)

Of course, what would a trip to Ft. Leavenworth be without a little gun pron? (Note to self: find one of these babies for the front lawn.)

I mentioned coming across the cemetary in a previous post. This site was so sobering, especially when we saw the number of "Unknown Soldier" markers. It was so vast, we could hardly wrap our heads around it. I didn't say anything to Mom, but I felt that we didn't belong there, like we were intruding on holy ground. The men that those markers represent are why this nation is the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave." Those markers stand for the courageous men & women standing in the gap for us even now.

To those of you who have served, who are serving & the families of our soldiers, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are in my prayers every day.

No comments: