Friday, March 17, 2006

I've Been Thinking...

...frightening I know, but just wait a few moments before screaming in terror.

Ever since I burned out for the first time in college and had to quit, I've kinda been floating along. I worked at Cessna for 2 years before I got laid off and I've been here since then and this is not a job I want to do for the rest of my life. I'd end up in Prairie View Mental Hospital.

I'm interested in lots of different stuff and have considered Criminology, History/Archaeology, Library Sciences and Education degrees. None of those ever felt right and I've also been worried about being up to snuff mentally.

I've burned out, as in worked until I couldn't function (Cessna Health Services sent me to the ER several times in the middle of the work day & told me not to come back for 3 days), 3 different times and I don't focus as well now as I used to. My GPA dropped from 3.85 to 2.85-ish due to the exhaustion.

Anyway, all that to say that I'm coming to a decision.

I've been taking these
Perspectives on the World Christian Movement classes at church and it has me thinking of missions again. I'd considered missions as a kid but then the horses came along and consumed my life. After that rug was yanked from under me (and I discovered that it *is* possible to live without a horse) I lost my direction.

This class is helping me discover it again.

Only problem is, I have no useful skills for the mission field. I am not a teacher or a leader. I don't (yet) know any foreign languages.

However, this has been in the back of my mind but I never really considered it, thinking I couldn't do it.

Nursing.

This would be very usable in the missions field, and could even allow me to go in to otherwise closed countries as a tentmaker like Paul. And someday, when my work there was done, I would have a marketable skill for here.

So basically, I'm looking into nursing programs here and hope to start a class or two this summer.

Oh yeah, I need to start working on learning Arabic or Farsi...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!! It sounds like you have a plan and something to look forward to. I am really happy that the class is helping you find your path again. That's great!

Sir Christopher said...

You can never have too many good nurses out there if you ask me. I know I couldn't do it though.