Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Missions

My friend Bridget keeps flipping out about my planning on being a missionary. At least once a week during work, she starts going on & on about how I can't go & if I do, how I'm going to be tortured & killed.

I keep reminding her that I have nursing school to finish (& that I have yet to start that) as well as theological training from a missions agency before I could leave.

Not to mention that I have no idea where I'm going. I mentioned that I have always felt a pull toward the Middle East. Call me crazy, but I would love to live in Jerusalem or work as a nurse in Baghdad (that one'll drive Mom nuts). That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going there. I could end up there or in China or Africa, South America or Europe somewhere. My mission field could even be right here in Kansas.

Anyway, Bridget keeps coming up with all these reasons I can't go - I'm not married, I'll get my head cut off, I might get married first (Pfft!), It's too far away, Other people should go instead of me, It's not my responsibility to go, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

As far as the responsibility thing goes, as a Christian it is my responsibility to go. The entire Bible is a book about missions. Every feel-good Biblical promise that you hear quoted so often is followed up by "for the Glory of God" or "so that the nations may see the Glory of God" or something along those lines. Don't forget the whole "Go into all the nations and preach" thing.

How can the nations see the Glory of God unless we as Christians go & tell them?

Yes, there are people here in America who haven't met Christ yet, but there are so many more out there that have never even heard His name.

Wow, this has turned into quite the little sermon, hasn't it. Not my original intention, but oh well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good---I'm proud of ya babe
signed, DAD

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Nothing wrong with answering God's call.
Just be careful...

LadyGunn said...

I will be.
The safest place to be is where He wants you to be.

Dingle said...

You could'nt be more correct with your explanation to the call of missions. You might have your friend read John Pipers "Let the Nations be Glad" its a great book on missions.

Lyn said...

Keep focused on what God wants you to do. Can't go wrong. Also, thanks for participating in the KGB roundup. Want to host next time? :-) lgp

LadyGunn said...

Dingle - I recently got a copy of that book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Lyn - I'll host, but not this coming weekend; too much stuff going on.