Monday, April 03, 2006

The Women's Retreat

Two weekends ago I went to Rock Springs 4-H Camp up by Junction City for the church's yearly women's retreat. The theme was contentment, using the Proverbs 31 lady as an example.

I almost didn't go after finding out that all of my close friends weren't going. I didn't know who I was going to hang out with. Last year, a lot of the weekend was taken up with extra fun stuff we could do in between sessions and we stayed up until the wee hours of the morning playing
Encore. (Nic could go for hours on Showtunes alone...) But this weekend went well.

It rained most of the time and I had worked the night before and was up for 26 hours by the time I went to bed Friday night, so after lunch on Saturday I wandered around the camp and took some pictures before doing a little Bible study and taking a nap.
There is an old farmhouse there that has a spring coming out of the hill right behind it. It is corralled into a stream that goes into a water wheel right by the house & also around the back to the small water fall pictured above and then into a pond, part of which is seen below. Even with the grey skies and constant cold drizzle, I thought it was lovely.
Several women shared their testimonies and the speaker had some great insights into how to abide in Christ's love and simply be contented with what we have been blessed with.

During one session, several ladies put on a little skit, written by another lady in the church, about how discouragement with never living up to the Proverbs 31 lady can keep us from even attempting to emulate her. The skit played off of the movie The Incredibles with one lady in red & black with the Incredibles symbol on her shirt, replacing the "I" with a "P31". Another lady was the nemesis, Sluggard, in white tights, a black bodysuit & cape and a pointy black wig. Let me tell ya, the entire room full of ladies just about split when L came out in that get-up. I have 1 picture, but it's fuzzy and too far away. (Darnit)

Anyway, it was a good weekend and I also got to visit with some ladies that I usually don't.

No comments: