Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Horse Hills or Hilly Horsies or Something Like That...

Ever think about how difficult the settlers who moved in to this land (Kansas) had it when they first came?

I do. I mean, nowadays we have all these fancy-shmancy highways & byways & what-all & everything has been leveled out some - the hills have huge chunks blasted out (those would've been some pretty explosions) & the valleys have been built up so our pretty little Dodges can just zoom all over the place.

Way back when, in the good ol' days, those folks would've had to get a honkin' big wagon, pulled by horses (or mules or oxen, but horses are prettier, so I'll just picture those in my mind) up & down the hills that the Mothership & I soared over at 75 mph. It wouldn't have been much of a problem around here (can you say flat) but up around Leavenworth & Atchison, well, let's just say that I feel for those poor dearly departed ponies. (I think I'm having issues with all of the parentheses here. Oh well.)

These are the kinds of things that I ponder whilst going down the road.

Okay, I'm done now. G'bye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to have the transcript of the first words uttered by the scout leading the wagon train to first encounter the grand canyon.

I bet "pretty" wasn't what he said.

LadyGunn said...

Ha! I never thought of that! :D