Monday, November 06, 2006

Needy Children

I finally remembered what else I was going to say in my last post. I'm doing two boxes for Operation Christmas Child this year & got everything the other day at Wally-World. They're all ready to go, except for the pretty beady edging I need to sew onto the bag for the little girl. I don't do the shoe boxes like they say - instead I put use hard plastic storage boxes. Our young adult ministry group did this last year & it works great. I line the box with a handerchief & then fill 'er up. I'm including a Kansas post card with my address in case the kids who get my boxes want to write.

I also adopted a little girl from Burkina Faso through Compassion International yesterday at church. (This was our missions themed weekend & I even got to see Teri again. I was kinda surprised that she remembered lil ol' me.) My little girl is Kabore Pegwende Clementine. From her adoption page:
Clementine lives with her mother. She is responsible for helping in the kitchen, running errands and cleaning. Her mother is sometimes employed.

For fun, Clementine enjoys jumping rope, hide-and-seek and playing group games. She attends Bible class regularly and is in primary school where her performance is average.

She lives in an HIV/AIDS affected area, so that means that there are extra expenses, if not for her then for others in that area - meds, extra care, more orphans, etc. Malaria & meningitis are also common.

Sponsorship allows her to be provided with Biblical & hygiene education, recreational activities, socail clubs & academic tuition, as well as reading & writing education. Clementine's mom will also be able to attend educational meetings. Forty-four percent of the kids in her area are not in school due to a lack of economic resources.

Anyway, if you want to do something that will make a difference in a life, check out both of these charities. When you see a red ribbon on the Compassion site, that means that child is in an HIV/AIDS area.

(I'll put up a picture of Clementine sometime when I'm around a scanner.)

No comments: