Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Horse Mode

Every once in a while I click into what I call "horse mode". I get horses on the brain.
When I get into my horse mode, I unintentionally click & kiss to the car when I'm accelerating, my legs try to nudge the car into a turn and when it's time to brake... heh. I settle deeper into the seat, pull on the steering wheel and think, sometimes even say, 'Whoa'. I find myself thinking of when and where the horse would be changing leads on the curves. I even do the same thing when I'm walking around. (Hey, I never claimed to be normal...)

I used to compete in barrel racing (them barrels sure are fast... bad joke, I know), pole bending, showmanship, horsemanship, western pleasure & trail. I got my first pony at 12 and rode regularly until I was 21 or 22. My last horse was sold 3 years ago in May and I still miss the life I had then. From the time I was 12, all I wanted to do was train & show horses and it is the one thing I can say I am/was d*mn good at. (Sorry, Mom) Unfortunately, between my fibromyalgia/back problems and burning out in college, that goal has been laid to rest.

Someday though... someday I will be back in the saddle, even if it's just to compete in the local saddle club's play days.

If anyone is interested, I have pictures of all my 'babies' here -
Pal, Jazzi, and Bugs, Ty, Pebbles & Sugar. The long version of my horsey years is here.

No comments: